Ridgegourd Rice | Peerkangai Saadam
Ridgegourd Rice - A mild yet delicious kids friendly lunch box rice recipe with ridgegourd sneaked in & with the delicate flavors of vaangi bath masala.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 2 Red chili
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- 10 Curry leaves
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 4 cups Ridgegourd chopped
- 1.5 tsp Vaangi baath powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 cups Rice Cooked
Wash and peel the ridgegourd and cut them into small pieces.
Finely chop the onion.
Cook the rice in your preferred way and set aside 3 cups and let it cool.
Break the dried red chilies and set aside.
In a kadai heat the oil and add once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, and channa dal.
As they start to splutter, add the broken red chilies, hing, and the curry leaves. Let it cook for a minute.
At this stage, add the chopped onion and cook until translucent.
Then add the chopped ridgegourd, turmeric powder, vaangi baath powder, garam masala, and salt.
Mix it well and cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Do not add any water as ridgegourd oozes out water. After 4 minutes remove the lid.
Let it cook until all the water evaporates and remove it from the heat.
Now add the cooked rice and mix well.
Finally, add the chopped cilantro and serve hot with raita.
- You can replace ridgegourd with your favorite vegetable.
- Instead of oil, you can do the tempering with ghee. But as I pack it for lunch, I go with oil. You can also add a dollop of ghee when you serve.
- Adjust the salt and spices as per your preference.
- When you are using water-rich veggies, do not add any water while cooking. If you are using veggies like brinjal or okra, sprinkle some water.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1566mg | Potassium: 363mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 412IU | Vitamin C: 128mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 2mg