Vazhaithandu More Kootu | Plantain Stem Kootu
A healthy and delicious plantain stem / Vazhaithandu gravy/kootu with the fresh ground coconut masala and with the fragrance of coconut oil.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 3 cups Chopped plantain stem / vazhai thandu
- 1 cup Thick Yogurt
- pinch Turmeric Optional
- Water For steaming the plantain stem
- 1.5 tsps Salt
- Curry leaves and cilantro for garnish
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut heaped
- 1 Green Chili Big one but adjust according to your preference
- To temper
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Channa Dal
Pressure cook the chopped plantain stem with water (approx 3 cups), salt and turmeric powder for up to three whistles.
Grind the freshly grated coconut and green chili with a little water.
Mix this coconut paste with the thick yogurt and make sure the yogurt and the coconut paste are combined nicely.
In a heavy bottom pan or kadai, add the cooked plantain. Do not discard the water.
Add the yogurt-coconut paste and mix them thoroughly and let it simmer on low heat. Check for salt and add if required.
Let this kootu mix simmer for 5 minutes. The kootu will be frothy on top and at this stage turn off the heat.
Add the chopped cilantro and curry leaves and in a separate tadka pan, heat the coconut oil.
Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, and channa dal and as they start to splutter, add it to the kootu.
That's it. Yummy mor kootu is ready. Serve hot with rice.
- You can prepare similar kootu with ash gourd or chow-chow by replacing vazhai thandu.
- As we are adding yogurt, do not cook on the medium or high flame. Yogurt might churn.
- Adding turmeric is entirely optional.
- Adjust salt and spice as per your preference.
- I used one big green chili, and it was more than sufficient for us. But if you are using the small ones, you can go up to 2 or 3.
Calories: 284kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 946mg | Potassium: 707mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 1310IU | Vitamin C: 22.1mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 1.2mg