Karasev | Milagu Karasev Recipe
No garlic crispy and crunchy Karasev / deep-fried chickpea noodle recipe flavored with peppercorns
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 cup Chickpea Flour besan
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Hing heaped
- 1 tsp pepper freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Water as required for mixing. I used about ½ cup
- 1.5 cups Oil or as required for frying
In a wide bowl, sieve the besan and rice flour.
Then add the salt, baking soda, pepper, and hing. Mix the ingredients.
Then add the butter and mix again. Now add little by little water and combine them and form a smooth and soft dough.
Meanwhile, heat the oil for frying for a low medium flame.
When the oil is hot take medium potato-sized dough like below.
Hold the perforated ladle on top of the oil and start pressing the dough to and fro like below. Using your thumb finger, press the dough hard during the to and fro motion. Slowly long strands will form like below. Towards the end, shake the ladle once so that the last parts of the hanging strands can fall into the oil.
Flip them over and let it fry until the bubble ceases.
Repeat the following for the remaining dough.
Let it cool completely and then serve it with tea or coffee.
- I used black chickpea flour, and the dough was getting quite hard/stiff during the process. I used about a tsp of water and mixed it once before pressing again.
- As I had it in my pantry, I went with black chickpea flour, but regular chickpea flour works best for this recipe.
- Make sure you press and fry over a low flame. This pressing needs lots of practice.
- Alternatively, you can use murukku press also. Use the round- hole mold and press them like murukku and break them later into small pieces.
Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 445mg | Potassium: 169mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 59IU | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg