Coconut Powder | Thengai Podi
A rice accompaniment prepared by roasting fresh coconut and lentils along with red chillies and grinding them dry
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- Channa Dal / Kadalai Paruppu – ¼ cup
- Urad Dal / Ulutham Paruppu – ¼ cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Red Chillies – 5 to 6
- Hing – 2 tsps
- Salt – 1.5 tsps adjust according to your taste
Heat the kadai and dry roast the channa dal, urad dal, red chillies along with hing till they turn golden brown.
Once they turn golden brown, remove it in a plate and let them cool.
In the same kadai, add the grated coconut and fry till they turn golden brown.
Let it cool too.
First dry grind the roasted dals along with salt in the coffee grinder or mixie. Make sure they mix well and ground them nicely.
Finally add coconut and now put it in the pulse mode so that the coconut mixes well with the powder.
That’s it. Let it cool before you store it an air tight container. I usually refrigerate these podis.
- Cool the roasted dals and coconut before grinding.
- Also after you add coconut put them in pulse mode. This ensures that lumps are not formed.
- Before storing it in an airtight container spread it on a plate and leave it for 5 minutes. Then store them in a container.