Potato - Onion Curry
A spicy and a delicious potato-onion curry - one among the zillion potato curry recipes that sure fits on any Indian menu and a perfect rice and roti accompaniment.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Resting Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 tbsps Oil 2 tbsps + 1 tbsp if needed
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 5 Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Hing
Wash the potatoes thoroughly and chop them into two halves. Pressure cook the potatoes but adding water for three whistles. If you are using Yukon gold variety or baby potatoes 1 or 2 whistles is sufficient.
Let the pressure release and drain the water immediately. Peel the skin and chop them roughly into small cubes.
Take the chopped cubes in a big vessel and add 1 tbsp of oil and the red chili powder.
Mix well. Make sure the salt and the chilly powder are evenly coated.
Heat the kadai and add oil. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, hing and curry leaves.
As they start to splutter, add the chopped onions and salt. Fry till they are translucent.
Add the potatoes now and mix.
If required, add the additional oil.
Lower the heat and let it cook till it browns up lightly. You can add more oil and cook until it forms a nice brown crust and crispy or slow cook until it becomes crispy on the edges.
- Adjust the salt and spice according to your preference.
- Instead of red chili powder, you can add sambar powder or rasam powder. Also, you can include fennel seeds while tempering.
- After cooking the potatoes, drain the water immediately.
- Potatoes become too starchy if they sit in water for a long time.
- You can add more oil and cook until it forms a nice brown crust and crispy or slow cook until it becomes crispy on the edges.
- According to the potato variety, the pressure cooking time differs.
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 900mg | Potassium: 947mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Vitamin C: 39.2mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2.2mg