This zucchini kootu or dal or pappu is prepared with moong dal and zucchini (obviously) and this goes well with rice and roti. For me kitchen is a place for trying out different food experiments. This recipe is from one such experiment. When I was making poori Masala, I was wondering what if substitute zucchini in place of potatoes. Why not? I tried with just two variations. Usually for poori Masala, I don’t add tomatoes. During my first attempt I added tomatoes and also coconut to get feel of usual kootu. It did came out good but it didn’t become a real big hit. So tried one more variation and this turned out to be a hit. In fact hubby mentioned it was like Saravana Bhavan Style kootu. ;-) ;-)
Ok here is the recipe,
- Zucchini: 3
- Onion: 1 medium sized
- Red chillies: 4
- Oil : 2 tsps
- Mustard seeds: 1tsp
- Urad dhal : 1 tsp
- Channa dhal: 1 tsp
- Cumin powder: 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsps
- Moong dhal – 1/4 cup
- Water: 1 cup
- Garlic cloves : 2
- Hing : 1 tsp
- Pressure cook the moong dhal with the garlic cloves and mash it well.
- Heat the oil and add mustard seeds, urad dhal and channa dhal.
- Break the red chillies and add them as the mustard seeds starts to splutter.
- Add hing and onions and fry them till they become translucent
- Add the chopped zucchini and sprinkle some water and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add salt, cumin powder and turmeric powder and cook till the zucchini becomes tender.
- Now add the mashed moong dhal mixture and let it boil for couple of minutes and that’s it. :-)
Zucchini kootu/dhal is ready.
- You can add chopped ginger.
- As red chillies are the only spicing agent, adjust accordingly.
- You can do this kootu with chow-chow, bottle gourd also.