Usually we do either dry curry/ poriyal or gravy/kootu as a side for rice dishes. Vendaikai poriyal is one of the most commonly prepared poriyal. It goes very well with mild sambhars like buttermilk sambhar moor kulambu or with avial.
- Lady’s finger – ½ pound
- Salt – 2 tsps (adjust according to taste)
- Besan – 2 tbsps
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp (You can use sambhar powder also)
- Oil – 2 to 3 tbsps
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Urad dhal – 1tsp
- Channa Dhal– ½ tsp
• Heat the kadai, and add the oil
• Add mustard seeds, urad dhal and Channa dhal.
• When they splutter add the chopped lady’s finger.
• Add salt, Chilli powder
• Allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes. (Don’t overcook them and don’t add water and don’t cover and cook too)
• Keep stirring well for every 2 minutes or so.
• Once the lady’s finger has softened add the besan.
• Besan is added to keep the veggie non-sticky.
• Lower the flame and stir for 5 more minutes to get a nice roasted crust.
Crispy lady’s finger dry curry is ready.