Happy 4th of July. :-)
This is again a traditional dish made out of tender ash gourd or tender pumpkin. Its very simple but very delicious. Coconut oil and cooking the veggie in the milk differs it from other kootus. You don’t need any jeera for this. You need tender ash gourd (Parangi/Poosani kottai) for this recipe.
Tender ash gourd (medium size) – 1
Milk (2%) – 1 cup
Water 1 cup
Salt – 1.5 tsp
Grated coconut – 1 cup
Green chillies – 2
Regular cooking oil – 2 tsps
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 strand
- Peel the skin of ash gourd and chop into small cubes.
- Pressure cook or microwave it with milk and water.
- Grind coconut and green chillies together and keep aside.
- Heat the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- As they start to splutter, add the cooked ash gourd.
- Mix well and add salt. Let it simmer for couple of minutes.
- Now add the
grinded coconut mixture and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- As the froth starts to form (because of milk), add 1 tsp of coconut oil and take it of from heat.