Back from the limbo mode. Final semester to go.
Hoping to post more this year. This is a typical tambram style tomato rice without any garam masala. Amma, athai and everyone makes it this way. But when my athai makes it, it tastes heavenly. (Kai pakkuvam, as they say in Tamil???) Any here is the recipe.
Rice – 1 cup (Any rice is preferable)
Ripe tomatoes 3
Small onions 5-6
Red chillies 3 (Depending upon spice level, u can vary)
Cumin Seeds 1 tbsp
Salt 1.5 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 2 tsps
Curry leaves – 1 strand (Don’t ignore curry leaves, it does give unique taste)
- Cook the rice in regular way and let it cool
- Grind the tomatoes, small onion, red chillies and cumin seeds into nice smooth paste.
- Take kadai, heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dhal and channa dhal.
- When they splutter add curry leaves.
- Now add the grinded paste and salt.
- Fry the paste till the water evaporates out.
- Now add rice and mix it well.
Best dish to pack for the lunch :-)