French toast is very popular all over the world and we can’t differentiate to which country it exactly belongs to. There are different varieties and flavors to it and here is my eggless version of it. I can hear you laughing and telling “what French toast without egg?” But yeah why can’t we have it that way? Last week we saw French toast in a coffee mug and it was very interesting and it does save a lot of time. Mornings are always crazy for me and I am sure that will be the scenario in most of the households. This is a simple flavorful breakfast recipe and I am sure will be a hit in your kitchen too.
The base recipe is taken from Minimalist baker. I know all food bloggers love this site – a great resource for all the bloggers. Be it photography or themes or WP plugins – it’s my go to site. So now combing back to the recipe I didn’t go for vegan version. Just took the concept of adding chia seeds and went with regular milk and maple syrup. This is comparatively a low calorie version.
- Bread Slices – 5 (I usually remove the corners)
- Maple Syrup – 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon – 1/4 tsp
- Milk – 1 cup ( I used 2 %)
- Chia seeds – 1 tbsp
- Mix the maple syrup, chia seeds, cinnamon and whisk well. Let it set for up to 20 minutes.
- The chia seeds will slowly enlarge.
- Meanwhile chop the bread slices and add them to the milk mixture.
- Let the bread slices absorb all the milk.
- Now add them in to the coffee cup as per the portion size or the mug size.
- Microwave it high for unto 2 minutes or up to the milk is absorbed.
That’s it. The grab and go french toast is ready.
- You can use flax seeds too.
- Either you can ground the chia seeds/flax seeds or use it just like that.