For the last day of this week’s recipe I am getting to back to roots again and its our own pickle – Lemon Pickle. I love pickles be it mango or mixed veggie or any thokkus. I can have them with sambhar rice, rasam rice and also with any variety rice. You can find my other pickles and thokkus under my pickle category. This april I got these fresh Meyer lemons from my colleague. Meyer lemons are a cross between lemons and mandarin oranges. These lemons are have the sweet and sour taste and when I got them I wasn’t sure what to do with them. We have had enough lemonades and lemon rice. Then I remembered this pickle which Amma used to do every summer. I goes very well with yogurt rice and also with any gruel or kanchi. The highlight of this recipe is it doesn’t need any oil and also red chilly. Instead we use green chillies. I did make them in April and it takes a month for the lemon to soak well and the juice to ooze out well. Here is the simple recipe,
- Lemon – 10
- Green chillies – 12
- Finely Chopped Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 2 to 3 tsps
- Methi seeds – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Chop the lemon into cubes and slit the green chillies into two.
- Dry roast the methi seeds and mustard seeds without adding any oil.
- Let it cool and grind them coarsely.
- Now mix the lemons, green chillies, grinded methi and mustard seed powder, salt, hing and ginger.
- Mix them well and keep them in a air tight container and keep them in the fridge.
- Mix them well for every two days. Slow water will ooze out and you can taste and adjust the salt accordingly.
Two to three weeks yummy pickle is ready. Worth the wait time. :-)