Welcome to the second week of this “Buffet on the table” marathon. This week theme is food from Indian States. I think I can breathe now ;-) Not as hard as last week right? Also this theme helped me clean my drafts and post all those North/East/West/Central Indian recipes that I had stacked up. So the first one is from Gujarat. I had completely modified the original recipe according to my convenience. But its still Undhiyu only. ;-)
Undhiyu is a famous vegetarian dish from Gujarat. It’s mixed vegetable recipe that goes well with both rice and roti. It is also a seasonal dish as we get those veggies only during winter. I tasted this dish after coming to US and loved it right away. My personal preference is to have this dish with rice. The traditional recipe calls for muthiyas (methi and besan dumplings) along with other veggies (but I skipped them in mine) and these veggies are coated with coconut chilly paste and slow cooked for a long time. (No I didn’t use slow cooker this time, only pressure cooker)
During week days I don’t have enough time for preparing this form scratch. Also here in US I don’t get the undhiyu vegetables always. So I started using the Undhiyu mix pack but I grind the masala fresh every time. I skip the muthiyas most of time. It comes out very well without that also. (Errr I know its not traditional but for weekdays I think going semi-traditional is ok ;-) ;-) )
Since we are talking about traditional food and the modifications I would like to share this Bursary Program by Fine Food specialist in UK. It is awarded annually to one person who is pursuing a culinary education. All you need to do is to discusses the changing role of food in a culture of your choice and send it to the mentioned email in the link.
Back to the recipe now and here is my version of undhiyu,
- Frozen Undhiyu veggies – 1 packet
- To Grind
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cilantro finely chopped – 3 tbsp
- Ginger – Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Green chilly – 1 chopped
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 2-3 tsps
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- water – 3 tbsps
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Carom seeds / Ajwain – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Thaw the frozen veggie mix and bring to room temperature.
- Grind all the ingredients given under “to grind” by adding 3 tbsps of water.
- Now the add this paste to the frozen veggie and let it sit for up to 30 minutes.
- Heat the pressure cooker or pressure pan and add 2 tsps of oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the carom seeds, cumin seeds and hing.
- As they start to splutter add the masala coated veggies.
- Add 1 cup of water and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
That’s it yummy and quick undhiyu is ready :-) Serve hot with rice or roti.