Welcome to the 1st day of April Baking Mania :-)
[PS: Still struggling to find a proper position and light for pictures in the new house. So please bare with the picture quality]
I want to stay in my comfort zone on the first day. So starting with one of my favorite recipe, potato curry. Potatoes are very versatile vegetable and you can prepare many baked recipes with potato. Potato wedges with rosemary, baked fries and what not? When I tried potato wedges, I thought why can’t I do Indian style potato curry and tried and it was big hit. The prep time is what you are going to spend and rest all is the baking time. When you are in a hurry or when you want to relax but still cook, this recipe works out perfectly well. So here is the recipe. I used red potatoes but you can go for any variety.
Baked Indian Style Potato Curry
- Red potatoes – 6-7
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Fennel powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1.5 tsps
- Rice flour – 2 tsps (optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp + 1 tsp + for spraying
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 strand
- Pre heat the oven at 375 degree F, meanwhile we can do the prep work.
- Wash the potatoes and chop them finely.
- Drain the water and add the 1 tsp of oil, red chilly power, turmeric powder, fennel powder, hing and salt.
- Mix well and make sure the dry powders are coated well. Add rice flour too if you want it more crispy. But its completely optional.
- Now take a cookie tray and wrap it with aluminum foil or parchment paper and drizzle some oil.
- Spread the potato curry and bake for 40 minutes.
- Mix them and toss them once at around 20 minutes.
- Thats it potato curry is ready.
- Now do the tadka separately by heating 1 tsp of oil and when the oil is hot add mustard seeds and curry leaves. As they start to splutter add it to the curry.