This week’s theme is very easy for me :-) North Indian side dishes with no onion and no garlic. Being from Brahmin community, most of our food is without onion and garlic only. I am very much used to this concept. We cook North Indian dishes in the same way too. I am going to post our favorite three dishes which taste great even without onion and garlic.
The first one is chole – protein packed garbanzo beans gravy. This goes well with rice, poori, roti and also you can use this for any chat also be it Pani Poori, Samosa chole or Papdi chat. etc.
One of my friend suggested using Chana dhal along with garbanzo beans. So in my recipe I have both the dhals.
- Garbanzo beans – 3/4 cup
- Channa dhal – 1/4 cup
- Soak them both overnight and pressure cook them for up to 3 whistles by adding little salt.
- Ripe Tomatoes – 3
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Cumin seeds/Jeera – 2 tsps
- Hing – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Dhaniya/Coriander powder – 2 tsps
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery – a small piece
- Cilantro – fine chopped 1 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsps
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Heat the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and hing.
- As they start to splutter, add the chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook till they become soft.
- Now add the dry masalas – red chilly powder, cumin powder and dhaniya powder.
- Mix them well and cook till the oil seperates.
- Now add the cooked garbanzo beans and channa dhal and the jaggery.
- Let it boil well for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti.
Submitting this post for Blogging Marathon #46 – A 3 day marathon for 4 weeks
Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging marathoner doing BM#46