Its my appa’s favorite dish and this goes very well with yogurt/curd rice, idly and dosa too. This is an zero oil and zero water recipe so the shelf life is longer. Its one of the best dish to pack for hostel too. I have taken it many times. This is very very simple dish too. Here is the recipe,
- Cilantro – 1 bunch
- Channa dhal / Kadalai paruppu – 1/4 cup
- Urad dhal / Ulutham paruppu – 1/4 cup
- Heeng – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1.5 tsp (as required)
- Red chillies – 4-5 (adjust according to your taste)
- Tamarind – 1/2 inch piece
- Wash cilantro and pat it dry. Make sure there is no water, if required sun dry it for an hour or so. (Dried cilantro ensure more shelf life)
- And chop them roughly.
- Heat the kadai and once its hot add channa dhal, urad dhal, heeng, red chillies and dry roast them till it turns slight brown.
- Turn it off and then add the tamarind piece and let it cool down.
- Now dry grind the dhals first along with salt and then add the chopped cilantro and grind them all together and thats it, yummy cilantro thokku/chutney is ready.