Erissery/Yeriseri is one of the popular dish in Kerala. This dish is a must on onam sadya. (Onam feast). We can usually make this dish either with Plantain(Raw banana) or Yam. But usually I add both the veggies. I don’t get fresh yam in US. So I get the frozen one. As it is already chopped, it makes my life easy :-).
Cooking plantain is also easy. I just chop the ends and microwave the whole Plantain for 12 minutes along with yam. Once its cooked, peeling skin becomes very easy. Just remove the skin, as you do for banana and chop them in to cubes. So you just need 12-15 minutes for preparing the veggies. Meanwhile you can grind the masala and keep it ready. Do the thadka and mix the veggies and masala. Let it cook for 5 minutes and thats it. Within 20-25 minutes yummy dish is ready.
I learnt this recipe from my mom and we are not sure if its prepared the same way as they prepare in Kerala. But I like the way my mom prepares and so here it is for you.
- Plantain : 2
- Yam – 1 cup (chop into small cubes)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- For Masala
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Pepper – 1 tbsp
- For Tempering:
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 strand
- Microwave plantain and yam for 12 minutes. You can follow the same procedure as I mentioned above. It you are using pressure cooker, 1 whistle is enough.
- Grind the coconut and pepper together.
- Heat the kadai and add coconut oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, heeng and curry leaves.
- As they start to splutter, add the boiled veggies, salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix them well and now add the grinded masala and also the water.
- Let it simmer for about 7-10 minutes.
That’s it. Serve hot with rice. It can be used both as side dish and as main dish.