Rasam is a staple and comfort food of Tamil Nadu. This is a TamBram style rasam, made with toor dhal and no garlic. Mine and kiddo’s most favorite dish. :-) It is one of the easiest dish to prepare too. Mix all the ingredients and simmer it. Then add toor dhal mixtures and simmer it again. Its as easy as that.
Dhal Rasam/Paruppu Rasam
- Rasam podi – 1 tbsp
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Curry Leaves – 1 strand
- Cilantro – finely chopped 3 tbsps
- Tamarind – 1 small gooseberry size (if using paste, dilute 2 tsps in 1 cup of water)
- Salt 1.5 tsp or as per taste
- Toor dhal – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water 4 1/2 cups
- Jaggery – small piece
- Oil/Ghee – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Jeera – 2 tsps
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Pressure cook the dhal with turmeric powder and with 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Let it cool and mash it well.
- Soak the tamarind in water ( 1 cup) and extract the juice, if you are using paste mix it in 1 cup water (During weekdays I prefer tamarind paste)
- Take the vessel, in which you are going to make the rasam.
- Add the tamarind water, rasam podi, salt, chopped tomatoes and mix it well.
- Now keep it in the stove and simmer it in medium flame.
- Add the curry leaves and the coriander leaves.
- When it begins to boil and add the boiled dhal and 2 cups more water and the jaggery.
- Let it simmer till it creates froth on top.
In the separate kadai or seasoning laddle heat oil or ghee. Add mustard seeds, hing and jeera. Once they start splutter add this to the rasam.
Hot rasam is ready.