I love the amla or the big Indian gooseberries or nellikai as we say in Tamil. Love them raw and I love drink water after eating them. Good old school days. My amma used to make this during the amla season. It can called thokku or pickle. It goes well with yogurt rice.
- Gooseberries – 10-12 (I used frozen one. One packet had 12 in it)
- Oil – 3 tbsps
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Methi powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Boil the gooseberries or pressure cook them for 2 whistles so that you can easily remove the seed inside.
- Let it cool and remove the seeds and chop them.
- Heat the 2.5 tbsps of oil in the kadai. Once the oil is heated add the mustard seeds and hing.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the methi powder, red chilly powder and turmeric and fry for couple of minutes.
- Now add the chopped gooseberries and mix them well.
- Add salt and mix well. Let it cook for couple of minutes.
- Now add the remaining oil and cook till the oil separates.
That’s it yummy nellikai pickle is ready.